On Monday, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry commented on the Ethiopian Foreign Minister Guido Andaragasho’s talk about Egypt’s motives for resorting to the Security Council as an escape from negotiating the Ethiopian Renaissance Dam.
The Egyptian Foreign Minister, Sameh Shoukry, affirmed his country’s permanent readiness to negotiate an agreement that meets the interests of all, challenging Ethiopia to resume negotiations immediately if it announced its commitment to international pledges not to unilaterally fill the huge dam.
Shoukry said that Egypt had been involved in the negotiations in good faith over the course of a whole decade, “explaining the constant willingness to negotiate in order to reach an agreement that meets the interests of all.”
Shukri directed “the challenge for Ethiopia to resume negotiations immediately if it declares that it will abide by its international obligations not to unilaterally”, according to the official page of the Egyptian Foreign Ministry.
The Renaissance Dam talks stopped again last Wednesday, but this time just about two weeks before the expected start to fill the four billion dollar large dam reservoir that is being built near Ethiopia’s border with Sudan.
This dam is central to Ethiopia’s quest to be the largest energy exporter in Africa.
And Cairo announced last Friday that it had invited the UN Security Council to intervene to resume the talks.
Last Saturday, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi commented on the stalled negotiations of the Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, saying that his country is committed to diplomacy to resolve its crisis with Ethiopia over building the dam.
Al-Sisi said: “When we moved to the Security Council … it was the reason that we were keen that we always take the diplomatic and political track to its end.”